Friday, December 23, 2011

Reading :: A Storm Of Swords

This is book 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire. The action heats up in this one more than the first two books, because, well, there are swords in the title and by now, the readers are well familiar with the characters and they WANT to know what happens with the titular characters.

I am not a very good reader of long series and that too when I'm reading them so close to each other. And that too, when I am in a little bit of a stressful environment while reading those (a story for another day). So, in my head, it's all kind of muddled up. There are too many characters to think about, but if I focus on the few 8-10 characters that are the main people, i think i have a pretty good handle on the story.

The length of the series and the scope are the things that kept me off this series for a very long time. I mean, I'd heard praise about a song of ice and fire from people all over, but it takes a great level of commitment from a reader to start reading, and when I start reading books, I do that with the idea of finishing them all. And this is a story that is not even complete yet. The sixth book is yet to be released and there are going to be seven books, as far as I know.

About the story, well, there is a lot of things happening here n' there in the book. People are dying, people are having sex, people are betraying, main characters are passing very close to each other and still not meeting, the wolves are howling and stuff. So, yeah, you know the deal. It's entertaining stuff, but I fail to understand, what message am i supposed to take back from all this.

If a book is a letter from a writer to a reader, then what is the inherit message in that? I don't see the message in A Song of Ice and Fire. It's like delicious fantasy, good to read, good to understand, but I am lacking there.

So, if any of you have got any meaning out of reading the books, please drop me a line. Comment or email, nothingman at in dot com.

Cheers!

No comments: