Monday, July 4, 2016

Book Review :: Half A War by Joe Abercrombie

Half a War (Shattered Sea, #3)Half a War by Joe Abercrombie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Slightly less entertaining than the second book in the series, half a world, which, I think, is the most entertaining book of the trilogy.

What I liked about this trilogy was that it looked into a new direction with YA fiction, and what I didn't like was that an author like Joe Abercrombie had to hold back his hand in terms of sex, violence, and general fuckery that is a part of his books. I guess the man needed a change of pace so that whatever is coming from him next is amped to 11.

All said and done, one of the tropes in this book was better done by mark lawrence in his broken empire trilogy. I mean, come the fuck on :D, you'll know it when you read it. Perhaps it has to do something with the fact that lawrence is more of a science guy in real life, so he is better able to describe those things.

I'd really like to see an author death match between joe's characters and some of lawrence's. Because Jorg is one evil motherfucker and only Glokta can reach that kind of evil fuckedupness from abercrombie's work. But this review isn't about Broken Empire, it's about Shattered Sea books.

Yeah, you can give these a shot if you're looking for filler reading material between something like, say, Malazan series. Cuz, fuck, damn, Malazan is a heavyweight, and that would be a sheer understatement.

I don't know what I want to read next. Suggestions welcome.


View all my reviews

No comments: